UMW BEATLindley Estes covers the University of Mary Washington for fredericksburg.com and The Free Lance-Star.
Need something to do this weekend? Try university events
School is back in session and summer events are dwindling as the season turns colder.
But students back in the classroom means more event offerings at your local university.
Need something to do this weekend? Try an event offered by UMW:
- The UMW Galleries will host two exhibitions: “Converging Cultures: Works by Latino Artists” from Thursday, Sept. 5 through Sunday, Oct. 6 at the Ridderhof Martin Gallery, and “UMW Faculty Exhibition” from Thursday, Sept. 5 through Sunday, Oct. 6 at the duPont Gallery.
- A lecture called “Frame to Painting: The Gentle Art of Matchmaking,” by frame conservator Sandy Jensen will be offered at the Gari Melchers Home and Studio at Belmont. Jensen will discuss the history of frame styles and the painter’s participation in choosing his frames. Belmont is located at 224 Washington St. Falmouth. The lecture begins at 2 p.m. and is free with museum admission. for more information, call 540-654-1851.
- Yogi Ren Fields and other teachers from Fredericksburg Healing Arts & Yoga Center will lead drop-in yoga classes for all ages and skill levels in the James Monroe Museum’s courtyard garden through October. No reservations are required. Event is BYOYM (bring your own yoga mat). Classes are from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. in the museum garden at 908 Charles St.. Cost$8 per class. Classes will be held every Saturday through October 26 (no class September 21).
Find more university events on their calendar here.
1. Be respectful. No personal attacks.
2. Please avoid offensive, vulgar, abusive, hateful or defamatory language.
3. Read and follow THE RULES.
4. Please notify us by flagging posts that are inappropriate.
Posts that include links, and posts from users with unverified e-mail addresses may take longer to appear.