Scott Shenk writes about transportation issues affecting Fredericksburg-area residents.
In Stafford, work on the Falmouth intersection will close Carter Street between Gordon Street and Butler Road. Carter Street will remain open between Route 1 and Gordon Street.
Also in Stafford, utility work will close a lane on Greenbank Road and paving work will close a lane on Plantation Drive.
In Spotsylvania, overnight paving will close a lane on I-95 near the Massaponax exit.
In Caroline, work will lead to a lane closure on Ladysmith Road.
For details, see VDOT’s Hot Spots below.
VDOT Hot Spots
Interstate 95 Overhead Sign Installation
(New) Crews will be installing overhead sign structures on I-95 north and south at various locations in Stafford and Spotsylvania County this week. Motorists should expect lane closures and brief delays between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. at the following locations:
- I-95 north at Exit 133B – the exit ramp towards Warrenton will be closed periodically between 9 p.m. – 4:30 a.m. Motorists should use Exit 133A towards Falmouth.
- I-95 south at Exit 133A – the exit ramp towards Falmouth will be closed periodically between 9 p.m. – 5 a.m. Motorists should use Exit 133B towards Warrenton
- I-95 south at the Fall Hill Avenue overpass – the overpass is located just south of the Fredericksburg Safety Rest Area/Welcome Center.
- I-95 south at the Route 3 overpass – the overpass is located at Exit 130 (Rt. 3/Fredericksburg).
- I-95 south ramp from Route 3 west – the ramp to I-95 south will be closed periodically. Use Route 1 to access I-95.
- I-95 north at the Route 3 overpass – the overpass is located at Exit 130 (Rt. 3/Fredericksburg).
- I-95 north ramp from Route 3 east – the ramp to I-95 north will be closed periodically. Use Route 1 to access I-95.
Route 656 (Greenbank Road)
(Update) Tuesday – Friday, 7 a.m. – 6 p.m.; motorists will be restricted to one lane on Route 656 (Greenbank Road) between Route 654 (Rocky Run Road) and Route 670 (Sanford Drive) for utility work
Route 1706 (Plantation Drive)
(Update) Monday, noon – 7 p.m. and Tuesday – Thursday, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.; motorists will be restricted to one lane on Route 1706 (Plantation Drive) between Route 17 (Warrenton Road) and Route 652 (Truslow Road). Crews will be milling, paving and line striping in this area.
(New) Tuesday-Wednesday, 24-hour closure from 7 a.m. Tuesday through 5 p.m. Wednesday; Carter Street will be closed between Gordon Street and Butler Road. Carter Street will remain open between Route 1 and Gordon Street. Residents on Carter Street will be able to come and go from their home or business during this time, however, we ask that residents and anyone with business along the street use Route 1 and Gordon Street as the access point rather than Butler Road.
(Update) Monday-Friday, 9 p.m. – 5 a.m.; motorists will be restricted to one lane on I-95 south in the vicinity of Exit 126 (Spotsylvania). Crews will be milling and paving in this area. To avoid delays motorists are encouraged to use Route 1 south as an alternate route.
Route 639 (Ladysmith Road)
(New) Tuesday – Thursday, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.; motorists will be restricted to one lane on the eastbound side of Route 639 (Ladysmith Road) from Route 1 to two miles east of
Route 639 Widening
Route 639 is being widened, creating a new left turn lane near the Route 1 intersection. During construction the posted speed limit will be lowered to 35 mph in the work zone. One lane will remain open in each direction during construction. Motorists should be alert to traffic pattern changes in this area. The project completion date is May 2015.
City of Fredericksburg
Fall Hill Avenue
Fall Hill Avenue is closed to all traffic at the Rappahannock Canal bridge through late 2014 for a bridge replacement project. Motorists should use Cowan Boulevard as a detour route.
King George County
The intersection of Route 206, Owens Drive and Windsor Drive is being widened to accommodate new left turn lanes and right turn lanes. Single lane closures will be in place weekdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Project completion date is December 2014.
Route 17 is being widened from four to six lanes between McLane Drive and Stafford Lakes Parkway, a distance of nearly 2 miles. The work zone extends from just south of the I-95 interchange to Cardinal Forest Drive. Motorists should be alert to changes in traffic pattern and periodic overnight lane closures. Project completion date is December 2016.
Route 1 Bridge over Aquia Creek
Crews are replacing the Route 1 bridge at Aquia Creek, located just south of Telegraph Road. Motorists should be alert to construction equipment entering and exiting the work zone and periodic lane closures. Estimated completion date is August 2015.
Falmouth Intersection (Route 1/Route 17/Route 218)
Construction is underway. Motorists should be prepared for brief delays and periodic lane closures on Butler Road and Route 1 just north and south of the Falmouth intersection. The project is expected to be complete by September 2015.
1. Be respectful. No personal attacks.
2. Please avoid offensive, vulgar, abusive, hateful or defamatory language.
3. Read and follow THE RULES.
4. Please notify us by flagging posts that are inappropriate.
Posts that include links, and posts from users with unverified e-mail addresses may take longer to appear.