Scott Shenk writes about transportation issues affecting Fredericksburg-area residents.
I-95 travel time message boards to go online Friday
Travelers on Interstate 95 will be able to see travel times on overhead digital signs starting Friday, the Virginia Department of Transportation announced Thursday.
The signs, which will refresh every five minutes, will give “motorists a preview of traffic conditions on the road ahead,” VDOT said in a release.
The data comes from private real-time traffic provider Inrix and other “technologies” that produce the approximate time it took previous vehicles to get between given points.
There will be four signs each on the northbound and southbound lanes in the Fredericksburg area. The northbound signs will be between the Ruther Glen area and just north of the U.S. 17 exit in Stafford. The southbound signs will be between Massaponax and just north of Route 610 in Stafford.
There also are signs north of the Fredericksburg area.
Here are the locations:
Northbound I-95 Message Boards
- Mile marker 100 (between exit 98/Doswell and exit 104/Ruther Glen); will display the travel time to exit 126 in Spotsylvania.
- Mile marker 122 (Massaponax Church Road, Spotsylvania); will display the travel time to Route 630 (Courthouse Road) in Stafford.
- Mile marker 129 (one mile south of exit 130/Route 3); will display the travel time to exit 148, Quantico Marine Corps Base in Stafford.
- Mile marker 134 (one mile north of Route 17, Stafford); will display the travel time to Route 234 at Dumfries/Manassas.
Southbound I-95 Message Boards
- Mile marker 145 (two miles north of Route 610, Stafford); will display the travel time to State Route 3 at Fredericksburg exit 130.
- Mile marker 137 (one mile north of exit 136/Centreport Parkway); will display the travel time to exit 118/Thornburg at Route 606 in Spotsylvania.
- Mile marker 129 (one mile south of exit 130/Route 3); will display the travel time to Ladysmith Safety Rest Area in Caroline County.
- Mile marker 122 (Massaponax Church Road, Spotsylvania); will display the travel time to Route 54 at Ashland in Hanover County.
Signs Outside Fredericksburg Area:
- Northbound I-95, mile marker 165 (Pohick Road); will change the travel time destination to Woodrow Wilson Bridge, using Interstate 495.
- Northbound Interstate 395, mile marker 1.6 (Edsall Road); will display the travel time to the Washington, D.C., line.
- Prince William County Parkway, approaching I-95 entrance; will display the travel time to I-495, using I-95.
1. Be respectful. No personal attacks.
2. Please avoid offensive, vulgar, abusive, hateful or defamatory language.
3. Read and follow THE RULES.
4. Please notify us by flagging posts that are inappropriate.
Posts that include links, and posts from users with unverified e-mail addresses may take longer to appear.