Scott Shenk writes about transportation issues affecting Fredericksburg-area residents. You can email him at email@example.com.
Hot Spots: I-95 express lanes work ramping up
Nothing much new going on with area road work this week, but expect the same delays you may have experienced recently with numerous bridge projects still in progress.
Of note, however, is the express lanes work on Interstate 95 north of Fredericksburg. That project has already impacted the drive north. Expect that work to intensify. See below for details on how that work will be affecting the drive north on I-95 this week.
I-95 Traveler Alert
Monday – Thursday, 8 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.; Slope repair work will continue this week on I-95 south between Exit 148 (Quantico Marine Corps Base) in Prince William County and Exit 143 (Route 610/Aquia/Garrisonville) in Stafford County. The right lane will be closed near mile marker 147. Motorists should expect minor travel delays in this area.
Route 1 (Falmouth Bridge)
Sunday – Thursday, 8 p.m. – 6 a.m.; Work continues on the Falmouth Bridge Sidewalk Rehabilitation Project. Motorists will be restricted to one lane on Route 1 northbound or southbound at the Falmouth Bridge during the overnight hours. The sidewalk will remain closed to pedestrian traffic for the duration of the project.
Route 1 (Aquia Creek Bridge)
Monday – Thursday, 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.; One lane of Route 1 northbound will be closed between Port Aquia Drive and Telegraph Road for the installation of work zone barriers and guardrail removal. This work is part of a project to replace the bridge over Aquia Creek on Route 1.
Route 208 (Spotsylvania Courthouse Bypass, Phase II)
Construction continues on the final segment of the Spotsylvania Courthouse Bypass from Post Oak Road to just east of the Ta River near Lake Anna. Estimated completion date is spring 2013.
Route 3 Widening Project (Spotsylvania County Project)
This widening project of Route 3 is located between Chewing Lane and Gordon Road.
Smith Station Road and Piedmont Drive (Spotsylvania County Project)
Work is underway at the intersection of Smith Station Road and Piedmont Drive. The Spotsylvania County roadway improvement project includes widening the road and the installation of a new traffic signal. Motorists in the vicinity of this work zone should follow the designated detour signs.
Route 1 Bridge over Aquia Creek
Crews are mobilizing equipment on Route 1 at Aquia Creek, located just south of Telegraph Road, in preparation for replacement of the bridge. Motorists should be alert to construction equipment entering and exiting the work zone. Estimated completion date is August 2015.
Route 207 Bridge Replacement Project
Work is underway to replace the westbound Route 207 bridge over the CSX railroad tracks. Eastbound and westbound traffic has been shifted to the eastbound Route 207 bridge. Motorists should be alert to this new traffic pattern. The speed limit has been reduced to 45 mph in the work zone. Estimated completion date is May 2013.
King George County
Route 301 Bridge over the Rappahannock River
Work is underway on the Route 301 bridge over the Rappahannock River. The bridge connects Caroline and King George counties at Port Royal. All traffic has been shifted to the southbound lanes on the bridge with one lane open to traffic in each direction. Motorists should be alert to construction activity and changes in traffic patterns. Estimated completion date is July 2013.
Nighttime work (Closures occur between 9:30 p.m. and 5 a.m. unless otherwise noted)
- I-95 reversible HOV lanes from Dumfries Rd. (Route 234) to Duke St.–Road closed Tuesday – Thursday nights from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. and Friday night from 11 p.m. to 9 a.m. for barrier work and conduit installation. Traffic will be directed to use the general purpose lanes.
- I-95 north from Cardinal Dr. overpass to Exit 158, Prince William Pkwy. (Route 294)–Two lanes closed Tuesday – Friday nights for ground work.
- I-395 north and south between I-495 and Exit 4, Seminary Rd. (Route 420)–Two lanes closed Tuesday – Friday nights for barrier and guardrail work.
- Furnace Rd. at I-95 – Single lane closed Tuesday–Thursday nights for barrier and restriping work. Expect intermittent full road closures of up to 30 minutes after midnight.
Daytime work (Closures occur Monday Thursday between 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and Friday from 9:30 a.m. to noon unless otherwise noted)
- I-95/395 reversible HOV lanes between I-495 and Prince William Pkwy. (Route 294)–Single lane closed Tuesday – Friday for excavation.
- I-95 north and south between I-495 and Exit 143, Garrisonville Rd. (Route 610)–Single lane closed Tuesday – Friday for barrier placement and equipment movement.
- I-395 north between I-495 and Exit 4, Seminary Rd. (Route 420)–Single lane closed Tuesday – Friday for clearing.
- I-395 north to Exit 3, Duke St.–Right lane of ramp closed Tuesday – Friday for clearing.
- Franconia Rd. (Route 644) east and west from Commerce St. to Loisedale Dr.–Single lane closed Tuesday – Friday for ground work.
- Stevenson Ave. at Stulz Rd.–Right lane closed Tuesday – Friday for construction entrance work.
- Joplin Rd. underpass (Route 619) west at I-95 overpass–Road closed Tuesday – Friday for form work. Two-way traffic will be directed by flagger in eastbound lanes.
1. Be respectful. No personal attacks.
2. Please avoid offensive, vulgar, abusive, hateful or defamatory language.
3. Read and follow THE RULES.
4. Please notify us by flagging posts that are inappropriate.
Posts that include links, and posts from users with unverified e-mail addresses may take longer to appear.