Scott Shenk writes about transportation issues affecting Fredericksburg-area residents.
VRE has more Santa Train tickets available
If you missed out on Santa Train tickets this year, there is still hope.
The Virginia Railway Express announced today that a small number (300) of overstocked tickets will go on sale online at 9 a.m. Tuesday.
To get the tickets, which cost $6 apiece, you must send an email to email@example.com and include your top three choices. Requests made before 9 a.m. or by phone will not be honored.
Locally, at the Leeland Road station in Stafford, there are four time slots with available tickets.
Here is a list of stations with available tickets (those in bold have only six tickets per person available):
- Cupid Express Departing Burke at 10:30 a.m.
- Elf Express Departing Burke at 12 p.m.
- Dancer Express Departing Manassas at 9:00 a.m.
- North Pole Express Departing Manassas at 1:30 p.m.
- Prancer Express Departing Woodbridge at 10:30 a.m.
- Dasher Express Departing Leeland Rd at 8:30 a.m.
- Vixen Express Departing Leeland Rd at 10 a.m.
- Blitzen Express Departing Leeland Rd at 2 p.m.
- Rudolph Express Departing Leeland Rd at 3:30 p.m.
If you do not receive a Paypal invoice, it means the tickets are sold out, according to VRE.
If you are lucky enough to get tickets, you’ll have to pick them up at VRE offices, 1500 King Street, Suite 202, in Alexandria.
The Santa Trains will run this Saturday, Dec. 8.
The rides give kids a chance to meet Santa and Mrs. Claus on the trains, and the event is a fundraiser for Operation Lifesaver.
Toys for Tots
On another note, VRE is holding its annual Toys for Tots event on Wednesday. Below is a VRE release with details on how to participate.
Once again, we are helping the U.S. Marine Corps to distribute toys to less fortunate children that might not otherwise receive any gifts during the holidays. The toys and donations by VRE riders will go towards making the holidays for underprivileged children in Washington a more special and exciting time.
Participating is easy. Leave an unwrapped, new toy on your seat when you detrain that morning and our conductors will collect the toys after the train reaches the storage yard. Conductors will also be accepting donation checks and gift cards for the event. Please make your checks payable to: “Toys for Tots.”
VRE riders have always been very generous in the past and we would like to continue this tradition by helping make this holiday season special for children who may not be as fortunate as others.
(NOTE: Blog updated to show that there is a six-ticket per person limit, making it a total of 300 available.)
1. Be respectful. No personal attacks.
2. Please avoid offensive, vulgar, abusive, hateful or defamatory language.
3. Read and follow THE RULES.
4. Please notify us by flagging posts that are inappropriate.
Posts that include links, and posts from users with unverified e-mail addresses may take longer to appear.