Scott Shenk writes about transportation issues affecting Fredericksburg-area residents.
VDOT Hot Spots
Look for more Interstate 95 paving, including in Caroline this week. Crews also will be doing guardrail work along the interstate. Also, the Lake Anna bridge is scheduled to be closed Wednesday night as part of a rehab project. There will be signs up about the closure and for the detour.
Monday – Friday, 9:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.; crews will be conducting drainage maintenance at various locations along north and southbound I-95 between the Caroline/Hanover county line and Exit 126 (Rt. 1/Spotsylvania). Motorists should expect lane closures and brief delays for this mobile work zone.
Tuesday, 9 p.m. – 1 a.m.; motorists should expect lane closures and delays on north and southbound I-95 from Exit 140 (Rt. 630/Stafford) into Prince William County. Crews will be repairing the pavement in this area.
Route 627 (Forbes Street)
(Update) Monday – Tuesday, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.; motorists should expect lane closures and delays on Route 627 between Route 1 and Route 624. Crews will be placing shoulder stone in this area.
Settler’s Landing Subdivision
(New) Monday – Saturday, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.; crews will be milling and paving on various streets within Settler’s Landing Subdivision. Motorists should expect brief delays in the work zone.
Route 208 Bridge over Lake Anna
(Project Update) On Wednesday, June 27 the Route 208 bridge over Lake Anna will be closed to traffic between 7 p.m. – 5 a.m. The following detour will be in place while crews pour concrete for the new deck.
- Eastbound: Rt. 522 (Zachary Taylor Hwy.) to Rt. 719 (Belmont/Days Bridge Rd.) to Rt. 612 (Stubbs Bridge Rd.) to Rt. 601 (Lawyers Rd.) back to Rt. 208.
- Westbound: Rt. 601 (Lawyers Rd.) to Rt. 612 (Stubbs Bridge Rd.) to Rt. 719 (Belmont Road/Days Bridge Rd.) to Rt. 522 (Zachary Taylor Hwy.) back to Rt. 208.
(New) Sunday – Thursday, 9 p.m. – 5 a.m.; crews will be milling and paving on I-95 south between Exit 118 (Rt. 606/Thornburg) in Spotsylvania County and Exit 110 (Rt. 639/Ladysmith) in Caroline County. One travel lane will be closed in the work zone.
(New) Monday – Thursday, 8 p.m. – 5 a.m.; crews will be paving on I-95 north from mile marker 101.2 located at the Hanover/Caroline C.L. to mile marker 106.9 located just north of Exit 104 (Rt. 639/Ladysmith). The center lane will be closed to traffic.
(Update) Monday – Thursday, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.; crews will be installing guardrail at various locations on I-95 north between Exit 110 (Rt. 639/Ladysmith) in Caroline County and Exit 118 (Rt. 606/Thornburg) in Spotsylvania County. All travel lanes will be open to traffic.
(Update) Wednesday – Friday, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.; crews will be placing shoulder stone on Route 2 from just north of Rt. 606 to the Caroline County line. Motorists will be restricted to one lane in the work zone.
- Route 610 at Aquia Creek
This bridge rehabilitation project is underway. The bridge is located just west of Joshua Road. Expect single lane closures during daylight hours. In May, temporary traffic signals will be installed to maintain a single lane of traffic across the structure. The project is expected to be complete in August 2012.
- Route 610 at Mine Road
The project will add turn lanes to Mine Road and on Route 610 at this intersection. Expect periodic delays and lane closures during evening hours. The project is expected to be complete in July 2012.
- Route 208, Spotsylvania Courthouse Bypass, Phase II
Road improvement project from just west of the Ta River to just east of the Po River near Lake Anna. Estimated completion date is February 2013.
- Route 208 Bridge over Lake Anna (See Project Update)
Construction continues in the eastbound lane on the Route 208 bridge over Lake Anna. A temporary signal maintains one lane of traffic in the westbound lane on the structure. Estimated completion date is December 2012.
- Mine Road/Lansdowne Road (Spotsylvania County Project)
Construction continues in the vicinity of the Mine Road/Lansdowne Road intersection. Expect delays and traffic pattern changes during daylight hours.
- Route 3 Widening Project (Spotsylvania County Project)
This widening project of Route 3 is located between Chewing Lane and Gordon Road. Estimated completion date is July 2012.
- Route 639 at Massaponax Creek
Repair work is underway at the Route 639 bridge over Massaponax Creek. Motorists should be alert to construction crews and equipment in this area. All travel lanes will be open to traffic.
- Smith Station Road and Piedmont Drive
Work is underway at the intersection of Smith Station Road and Piedmont Drive. The Spotsylvania County roadway improvement project includes widening the road and the installation of a new traffic signal. Motorists in the vicinity of this work zone should follow the designated detour signs.
- Route 207 bridge replacement project
Work is underway to replace the westbound Route 207 bridge over the CSX railroad tracks. Eastbound and westbound traffic has been shifted to the eastbound Rt. 207 bridge. Motorists should be alert to this new traffic pattern. The speed limit has been reduced to 45 mph in the work zone. Estimated completion date is May 2013.
King George County
- Route 301 bridge over the Rappahannock River – Work is underway on the Route 301 bridge over the Rappahannock River. The bridge connects Caroline and King George counties at Port Royal. All traffic has been shifted to the southbound lanes on the bridge with one lane open to traffic in each direction. Motorists should be alert to construction activity and changes in traffic patterns. The project is expected to be complete in July 2013.
1. Be respectful. No personal attacks.
2. Please avoid offensive, vulgar, abusive, hateful or defamatory language.
3. Read and follow THE RULES.
4. Please notify us by flagging posts that are inappropriate.
Posts that include links, and posts from users with unverified e-mail addresses may take longer to appear.