Check here for the latest reports on news from Stafford County. You can email her at email@example.com.
Parks bond projects move forward
Two new parks projects and a renovation will soon be in their initial phases as part of the 2009 Parks Bond Referendum. After Tuesday’s closed session, the Board of Supervisors passed a resolution to authorize the county administrator to move forward on three projects:
- Initiation of the design of Embrey Mill Park to include design-build of an indoor recreation facility (to be operated by the bidder) with a 50-meter pool
- Acquisition of SASA property
- Authorization of design of Curtis Park pool renovation
The resolution passed 5-1, with Bob Thomas against and Susan Stimpson absent. Thomas motioned to pull the SASA property acquisition until the county had more information.
The parks bond referendum projects have been listed on the closed session agendas for months since supervisors discussed their progress at a special meeting in May. At that time, a rectangular field complex was listed as a priority.
The $29 million voter-approved referendum lists specific ways that money can be used. Here’s the link to the referendum. It calls for these eight uses:
- Development of Chichester Park next to Stafford High for a five-field baseball complex. (plans are in progress)
- Development of Belmont–Ferry Farm Trail (in progress), the Dominion Virginia Power Easement Trail, and the Cannon Ridge Trail.
- Development of Musselman Park for baseball fields, rectangular fields, trails, playground, picnic shelter, restrooms, parking and related facilities. A public input meeting was held in December, and the county started its master plan.
- Development of a rectangular athletic field complex. The county is looking at several sites roughly between Truslow Road and Courthouse Road, west of I–95.
- Improvements to existing parks, including renovations to playgrounds, picnic shelters, trails, courts, handicapped accessibility and signs.
- Land acquisition.
- Renovation or reconstruction of Curtis Park pool.
- Development of Phase II of Duff McDuff Green Park off State Route 3 east.
I’ll have more details on the three approved projects later this week.