vanessa-newVanessa Remmers covers Stafford County government and schools for and The Free Lance-Star.

Check here for the latest reports on news from Stafford County. You can email her at

RSS feed of this blog

Middle school evacuated for bomb threat

Update: Sports activities were canceled for today at Rodney Thompson, but no explosive devices were found at the school. The incident is still under investigation.


Fire crews at Rodney Thompson Middle School are now going through “rehab,” says Mark Doyle of Fire & Rescue. That means they’re getting a break and cooling down. “We’re thinking we’re winding down,” he said about today’s bomb threat incident.


Mark Doyle of Stafford Fire & Rescue says crews have been at Rodney Thompson Middle School since just after 11 a.m. Bomb sniffing dogs have alerted to an area by student lockers, he said. The Marine Corps EOD team from Quantico is also at the school, using optical cameras to look inside lockers.

The school was immediately evacuated to outside the building when crews arrived. Several students were treated for the heat, and everyone has since been transported to North Stafford HS. Parents can pick up their children, and regular bus routes will run this afternoon.


Photo submitted by parent Robert McAleese, when police closed Walpole Street.

Updated from Sheriff’s Office:

Stafford County Public Schools will be transporting the students at Rodney Thompson Middle School to North Stafford High School, utilizing buses brought to the scene. Parents may pick up their Rodney Thompson student at North Stafford High School OR wait until the end of the school day and the students’ regular bus will bring them home like a normal school day. All students are safe.

Original release:

The Stafford County Sheriff’s Office is responding to a bomb threat at Rodney Thompson Middle School. The students have been evacuated from the school and all are safe. The Sheriff’s Office is at the school and is investigating the threat. No other information is available at this time.

– Press Release from Stafford Sheriff’s Office