Check here for the latest reports on news from Stafford County.
Reassessments mailed out
Did you get your reassessment notice yet? Stafford’s Commissioner of the Revenue office mailed them out to county property owners on Thursday. I wrote about the initial numbers earlier this month.
Here are some more things to know about the reassessments and tax rates:
- In Stafford, 20,394 property values increased in value, 24,571 decreased and 4,928 did not change from the 2010 reassessments.
- The overall tax base in the county increased about 4 percent to $13.5 billion. That’s adjusting for land-use taxation of farmland and for new construction. (In 2010, the county had a 23 percent drop.)
- Residential values increased by 2 percent, bringing the median home value in the county to $248,000.
- Commercial property values dropped 3 percent, and agricultural values dropped 11 percent.
- You can appeal your assessments through March 12. Go to the county website for more information. (An appeal is not justified if an owner thinks the value changed by too large of a percentage, or doesn’t want to pay more in taxes. Appeals may be justified if an owner feels the assessment doesn’t reflect true market value or is not comparable to similar properties.) You can also search for values of other homes.
- Here is an 18-minute video from when Commissioner of the Revenue Scott Mayausky presented reassessment information to the Board of Supervisors in January.
- Last year, supervisors set the real estate tax rate at $1.08 per $100 of assessed value. It was $1.10 the year before.
- An effective tax rate (for Stafford to bring in the same revenue) would be $1.09.
- The budget will be presented at 7 p.m. March 6. Supervisors will hold a public hearing April 4, and are scheduled to approve a budget and set a tax rate on April 17.
Is your home valued at what you thought? Are you surprised by how much — or how little — the value changed? Let me know, I’ll be following up on these reassessments soon. Leave a comment or email me at email@example.com.