Check here for the latest reports on news from Stafford County. You can email her at email@example.com.
Wind advisory this afternoon
Stafford County is under a wind advisory from 3 p.m. to midnight, from the National Weather Service.
The strongest winds will be late this afternoon through the evening, according to the alert. Winds may be 20-30 mph with gusts up to 55 mph.
Drivers are encouraged to use extra caution, because strong winds can make driving difficult.
Here are tips from The Weather Channel about what to do in certain situations:
If you are caught outside during high winds:
- Take cover next to a building or under a secure shelter.
- Stand clear of roadways or train tracks, as a gust may blow you into the path of an oncoming vehicle.
- Use handrails where available and avoid elevated areas such as roofs.
If you are driving:
- Keep both hands on the wheel and slow down.
- Watch for objects blowing across the roadway and into your path.
- Keep a safe distance from cars in adjacent lanes, as strong gusts could push a car outside its lane of travel.
- Take extra care in a high-profile vehicle such as trucks, vans, SUVs, or when towing a trailer, as these are more prone to being pushed or flipped by high wind gusts.
- If winds are severe enough to prevent safe driving, safely pull over onto the shoulder of the road and stop, making sure you are away from trees or other tall objects that could fall onto your vehicle.