Jeff Branscome writes about Spotsylvania County.
DOJ clears county’s redistricting plan
The Department of Justice has sent Spotsylvania County Attorney Jacob Stroman a letter clearing the county’s redistricting plans.
Every 10 years, localities must redraw their voting district boundaries to accommodate new numbers in the U.S. Census. Spotsy’s supervisors approved new district boundaries, so that each district has approximately the same number of residents.
Here are the changes regarding specific precinct and polling places:
- Battlefield District: The Board added a new precinct in this District, the Gayle Precinct. Courtland Elementary School is the polling place for the new Gayle Precinct.
- Berkeley District: There were no precincts/polling place changes.
- Chancellor District: The Elys Ford Precinct was renamed the Wilderness School Precinct. The polling place for that precinct was moved from St. Patrick’s Church to Wilderness Elementary School. The Ni River Precinct was renamed the Ni River/Elys Ford Precinct. The polling place for the Chancellor Precinct was moved from the Chancellor Ruritan Building to the Chancellor Community Building.
- Courtland District: The Grange Hall Precinct was renamed the Riverbend Precinct. The polling place for that precinct was moved from Chancellor Elementary School to Riverbend High School.
- Lee Hill District: The Frazers Gate Precinct was renamed the Parkside Precinct. The polling place for that precinct was moved from Courtland Elementary School to Parkside Elementary School.
- Livingston District: The Todds Tavern Precinct was renamed the Post Oak Precinct. The polling location of that precinct was moved from the Todds Tavern Community Building to Spotsylvania High School. The polling place for the Belmont Precinct was moved from the Belmont Ruritan Building to Fire and Rescue Station 9 – Belmont. The polling place for the Courthouse Precinct was moved from R.E. Lee Elementary School to Fire and Rescue Station 1 – Courthouse.
- Salem District: There were no precincts/polling place changes.
Copies of new election district maps may be viewed at the Salem Church and Snow Libraries in Spotsylvania County. They are also available for viewing in the Public Information Office of County Administration. This Office is located in the Holbert Building, 2nd floor, 9104 Courthouse Road, Spotsylvania 22553. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 540/507-7005.