Jeff Branscome writes about Spotsylvania County.
Flashing Lights in the Rear View, Now What?
· Pull over to the edge of the roadway and stop.
· Stay until the emergency vehicle has passed. But keep watch: There may be other emergency vehicles.
· Keep a foot on the brake so emergency vehicle drivers know you have stopped.
· Stay at least 500 feet behind any moving emergency vehicle displaying flashing warning lights and sounding a siren.
· Never race after an emergency vehicle to get through a traffic light.
· Never pass a moving emergency vehicle with flashing lights unless directed to do so by law enforcement or emergency personnel.