Spotsylvania News

Jeff Branscome writes about Spotsylvania County.

RSS feed of this blog

Suspended Chancellor captain charged again

The day after The Free Lance-Star published this story about a Chancellor Volunteer Fire and Rescue captain being charged with misdemeanor sexual battery, the victim sought a warrant for the man’s arrest on a claim that he called her using threatening or profane language.

According to Spotsylvania Sheriff’s Lt. Col. Michael Timm, a warrant for misdemeanor use of profanity/threatening language via telephone was served to John Brandrup last week. He said the warrant was issued July 14.

“This was not a part of any investigation by our office though,” Timm said by e-mail. “I believe the earlier victim obtained her own warrant.”

The Free Lance-Star has been unable to obtain the warrant but a person familiar with the complaint said the call was made on June 17, before Brandrup was charged with sexual battery. That indicates that this second charge has nothing to do with the sexual battery charge.

According to Timm, the first offense is alleged to have taken place during an April 17 training exercise. He said the woman waited to file a complaint because she was scared.

Brandrup is to be arraigned tomorrow on the sexual battery charge, which is Code 18.2-67.4

Court records do not state who Brandrup’s attorney is right now.

Chancellor Volunteer Fire and Rescue Administrative Chief Kevin Dillard said in the July 13 article that the department continues to investigate the incident. He said Brandrup would be suspended until the investigation is complete and then the board of directors will determine what action to take.

Mr. Brandrup declined to comment today.

Brandrup serves as treasurer on the Rappahannock Emergency Medical Services Council board of directors, and he was recently approved to remain on the board until 2012. He also performs information technology work for the city of Fredericksburg and the Fredericksburg Police Department. He has been a member with Chancellor for almost 20 years and was serving as captain before he was arrested.