Spotsylvania News

Jeff Branscome writes about Spotsylvania County.

RSS feed of this blog

Smoke detectors save lives. Please check your batteries

Spotsylvania County Fire and Rescue Deputy Chief Nick Caputo is big on making sure smoke detectors work. When the county’s fire and rescue people respond to a fire and see that all occupants are already out of the home because of a smoke detector, it makes their job a little bit easier. 


Here is a press release about a recent fire that proves smoke detectors save lives:


Spotsylvania County Fire units responded to a house fire at 6705 Caribou Court at 1358 hours Feb. 16 to find smoke coming from the attic of the house. Firefighters quickly confirmed that all occupants and pets were safely out of the home, and began an interior fire attack to extinguish the fire. The home suffered severe heat and smoke damage throughout. 


Investigation found that the fire originated in the kitchen area of the home and was caused by an unattended burning candle. The 13-year-old son of the owner was watching television when he was alerted to the fire by a working smoke detector. The youth called 911 and safely exited the home without injury. The home is owned by Denise Crigger who was not at home at the time of the fire.


The Spotsylvania Department of Fire, Rescue and Emergency Management wants to remind all homeowners to make sure they have at least one working smoke detector on each level of their home AND ensure that each detector has fresh batteries. If you need your smoke detector or batteries checked, need to replace an old or non-working smoke detector, need a smoke detector installed, or need new batteries, call 540-507-7900.


Homeowners are also reminded to install carbon monoxide detectors in your homes. Carbon Monoxide poisoning can be caused by  malfunctioning fuel-burning devices. Some common sources of Carbon Monoxide include open flames, space heaters, furnaces, water heaters, blocked chimneys or running a car inside a garage.

Post tags: |