The authority for sports coverage in the Fredericksburg region.

RSS feed of this blog

Pro Football: Torrey Smith’s Super Bowl Diary—Day 6


NEW ORLEANS—It’s around 7:15 p.m. and I’m walking to the training room. My mother just sent me a text message. She told me I won the GMC Never Say Never Moment of the Year Award.

My agent, Drew Rosenhaus, had actually called a few minutes earlier and told me I had won. I earned the award for my performance against the New England Patriots the night I found out my little brother Tevin Jones died in a motorcycle accident.

My mother accepted the award because I couldn’t be there. The team thought it was too close to the Super Bowl. Technically, I could’ve gone and made it back to my hotel room, but I’ve got a game to worry about.

It’s a pretty cool award to win. I wrote a speech for my mom to read. I heard she did pretty well, but I will watch it when it comes on later. I appreciate the award, but I just performed my talent that night. It was nothing special. People die every day. I went out there and played for my family the same way I do every game.

That’s because if it wasn’t for my mother, my grandmother, my brothers and my sisters, I wouldn’t be here. They wanted me to play that night for a comfort thing. Tevin’s paternal grandparents, Emma and Earl Dixon, also wanted me to play. When I came back the next day everybody felt a lot better because I had played.

My mom is pretty excited about the award. She was just happy to be around RGIII and Samuel L. Jackson and some other people. I just tweeted a picture of her and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

Earlier today, it was just the same old routine. We had a good practice, the same old stuff. The thing that was different was that on our pregame walk-through all the family came to the Superdome and they took pictures on the field. Our coach, John Harbaugh, is a family coach. He’s always creating a family atmosphere. Everyone who was there had a good time.

After that we went to Willie Mae’s Scotch House and ate some good fried chicken. It was a restaurant with some good Southern food. Then I went back to the family hotel and saw my mom getting ready to go to NFL Honors.

Even though it’s the night before the game, I’m still pretty relaxed. It’s a lot of hype around the game, but at the end of the day when it is 5:30 here and 6:30 back home, I’m going to be on the football field playing the same old game.

I know what it is to watch it as a fan, but as a player I’m not going to approach it any differently than any other game.

Our whole team is the same way. We’re so loose. Nobody is uptight. Everybody knows what’s at stake. I think we’re the perfect team to handle this environment. We’ve just got to go out there and play our game.

I’ll be in bed by 10 p.m. I won’t have any problems sleeping. I’ll definitely be knocked out. I can’t wait to go to sleep. We’ll have meetings in the morning and head to the stadium about three hours before kickoff. I’m looking forward to it.

—As told to Taft Coghill

Post tags: