Redskins Appear Likely To Sign Donté Stallworth
The receiver, who last played with the Redskins in 2011, appears likely to return to the team after going through the first day of a tryout at minicamp on Tuesday.
BY ZAC BOYER
ASHBURN – Mike Shanahan said the Redskins will likely try to sign receiver Donté Stallworth at the conclusion of this week’s minicamp.
“I would say right now after today, we’ll see where he’s at, but he impressed me today,” Shanahan said Tuesday.
Stallworth, who wore No. 14 and didn’t have a name on the back of his practice jersey, was participating in his first tryout since being burned in a hot air balloon accident outside of Miami in March.
He was thankful to get the call last week from the Redskins, who are one of a few teams he was interested in playing for. Stallworth last played for Washington in 2011, but returned to New England, where he played in 2007, last season.
“I didn’t want to lose Donté a year ago, and I called him up and told him that I think he made a mistake, gave him a little hard time,” Shanahan said. “Before he had signed, he was contemplating what to do, and he decided to go to New England. I thought that he made a mistake. I thought he would have been better being with us, and just because I liked what he did, what he brought to the table.”
Stallworth, 32, believes he still has several years of football left in him, “but I guess that will be up to the football gods,” he said. After working on his conditioning in recent weeks, his focus for Tuesday’s tryout was on running crisp routes.
“Honestly, I had a lot of people ask me if there was one team I could play for, who would it be?” Stallworth said. “I said the Redskins. I had a great time when I was here a couple years ago. I love this city. I’m into politics. I love everything about it. The coaches here are awesome. It’s probably the funnest playbook I’ve ever played in, so why not? It’s a perfect opportunity to be able to come back with still pretty much all the same guys that were here when I was here.”