Injury Notes: Roy Helu, Chase Minnifield Return
Helu missed all but three weeks last season with multiple leg injuries, while Minnifield tore the ACL in his right knee for the second time at minicamp a year ago.
BY ZAC BOYER
ASHBURN – Roy Helu and Chase Minnifield each practiced this week for the first time since undergoing surgery.
Helu had surgery in February to clean loose cartilage out of his left foot, which was preventing him from sprinting. The running back went on injured reserve after Week 3 last season with a variety of leg injuries, including a strained Achilles’ tendon and turf toe.
“After the experience I’ve had going through this process, I decided to really just be really patient in the process, and in doing that, whatever may happen in the future, I’ll give my best but I can’t control it,” Helu said. “So far, it’s been a good experience. I’m not worried about the fear of hurting it later on.”
Minnifield, meanwhile, made his return a week shy of a year after he tore the ACL in his right knee. It was the second time Minnifield tore the ligament – he also did so in college – and he missed his entire rookie season because of the injury.
Though the cornerback practiced with his teammates on Wednesday, both he and Mike Shanahan said, he was restricted to positional drills on Thursday to make sure there was no inflammation in the knee.
“Anytime a guy comes off a knee injury, we like him to practice when he’s OK, but we don’t want to overdo it, especially when you’ve got a month and a half of recovery time,” Shanahan said. “So, he’s going to practice next week on Tuesday and we’ll probably give him Wednesday off as well.”
A few other injury updates:
* Tight end DeAngelo Peterson, on the practice squad nearly all of last season, broke his right foot in practice on Wednesday and will be out an indefinite amount of time, Shanahan said.
* Jordan Pugh was still not cleared by doctors to travel to Redskins Park for workouts. The safety has been battling an ear infection the last two weeks.
* Offensive lineman Maurice Hurt underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee last week, and the team is hoping he’ll be cleared to return for the start of training camp on July 25.
* Jacolby Ashworth, an undrafted offensive lineman out of Houston, sat out of practice with an undisclosed injury, though The Washington Post reported he injured a hand or wrist.
* Eleven other injured players continued to work out on their own as they proceed through various stages of rehab. Quarterback Robert Griffin III (right knee), receiver Pierre Garçon (right shoulder), tight ends Fred Davis (left Achilles tendon) and Jordan Reed (left quadriceps) and running back Chris Thompson (torn left ACL) all continued to work out together. Cornerback Josh Wilson (left shoulder), safety Brandon Meriweather (torn right ACL), guard Josh LeRibeus (groin), linebacker Keenan Robinson (torn pectoral), nose tackle Ron Brace (hernia) and safety Jordan Bernstine (torn ligaments in right knee) all worked out mostly on their own.