Redskins Journal
SIGN UP for the Redskins Journal email newsletter by clicking here.
RSS feed of this blog

Redskins, NFL Representatives Dispute Report Of Injury-Related Fine

By ZAC BOYER | @ZacBoyer

LANDOVER, Md. – Representatives from the NFL and the Washington Redskins denied a report that the team has been fined for its improper public announcement of the concussion sustained by Robert Griffin III against Atlanta last week.

The team announced that Griffin was “shaken up” and was questionable to return to the game in the press box, and that information was also relayed to the other team. Griffin had demonstrated symptoms of a concussion as the result of a third-quarter hit and left the game.

“No decision has been made,” senior vice president of communications Greg Aiello wrote in an e-mail. “Our review is pending.”

Aiello clarified that the league does not have an issue with how the situation was handled with regards to Griffin’s health but solely as whether the information was relayed to the media accurately and in a timely fashion.

“We have not been notified of any fine,” said Tony Wyllie, the Redskins’ senior vice president.

Head coach Mike Shanahan said Monday he was “not sure if that was the appropriate phrase,” but admitted that he uses it all the time.

“I knew when he didn’t know the quarter that the chances of him coming back were zero,” Shanahan said. “Now, could that have been said to you sooner? Possibly. Doctors wanted to take him in there and administer the test, and that’s obviously what happened.”

A report said the organization was given “a hefty fine” for its handling of the announcement because the league wants teams “to immediately acknowledge a head injury to prevent concussed players from getting pushed back on field.”

League policy dictates that any player experiencing concussion-related symptoms may not return to the game, let alone the sidelines, and must stay in the locker room for the remainder of the game.

Griffin said he had not experienced any concussion-related symptoms during the week and was cleared to practice in limited fashion Wednesday and Thursday. He went through a full practice on Friday and is expected to play against Minnesota on Sunday.