About Amy Umble:
Amy Umble is health reporter for The Free Lance-Star
Mary Washington earns spot in new U.S. News hospital rankings
Mary Washington Hospital has been listed among the top-ranked hospitals in the Washington metropolitan area by U.S. News & World Report magazine.
The magazine cited 26 of the 57 hospitals in the Washington area. The Fredericksburg hospital was tied for eighth with three other hospitals in the just published rankings. Mary Washington had six specialties that the magazine said were “high performing.” These were gastroenterology, geriatrics, kidney disorders, orthopedics, pulmonology and urology.
HCA’s Reston Hospital Center was one of the hospitals tied with Mary Washington. HCA’s Johnston-Willis Hospital also made the list in Richmond.
The magazine has published a Best Hospitals list for more than 20 years. This year it created a Best Regional Hospitals list with 622 hospitals in or near major cities. The hospitals were judged on reputation, mortality, patient safety, nurse staffing and technology.
“The metro rankings were created for the majority of patients whose care may not demand the special expertise found at a nationally ranked Best Hospital,” the magazine said. “The added centers boast a strong record of high performance for most conditions and procedures in one or more specialties.”
The magazine’s top-ranked hospitals in the Washington metropolitan area are:
- Washington Hospital Center
- Inova Fairfax Hospital
- Georgetown University Hospital, Washington
- Washington Adventist Hospital, Tacoma Park, Md.
- National Rehabilitation Hospital, Washington
- Holy Cross Hospital, Silver Spring, Md.
- Frederick Memorial Hospital, Frederick, Md.
- Mary Washington Hospital
Prince George’s Hospital Center, Cheverly, Md.
Reston Hospital Center
Suburban Hospital, Bethesda, Md.
Of the 20 hospitals in the Richmond metropolitan area, U.S. News picked what it believes to be the five best. They are:
- Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center, Richmond
- Memorial Regional Medical Center, Mechanicsville
- Bon Secours St. Mary’s Hospital, Richmond
- Bon Secours St. Francis Medical Center, Midlothian
- Johnston-Willis Hospital, Richmond
(The magazine’s rankings can be found here.)