About Amy Umble:
Amy Umble is health reporter for The Free Lance-Star
Information from the health director on Japan’s nuclear accident
Dr. Brooke Rossheim, director of the Rappahannock Area Health District, forwarded a package of information Friday evening from the federal government on the nuclear accident in Japan. His email included:
- A fact sheet on radiation and potassium iodide (KI), here, from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Information, here, from Customs and Border Protection agency.
- Information, here, about radiation monitoring from the Environmental Protection Agency.
- A question-and-answer sheet, here, from the FDA.
- A Public Health Emergency website, here, from the Department of Health and Human Services.
Rossheim also said he wanted to emphasize two of the items contained in the material: “At this time, CDC does not recommend that people in the U.S. take potassium iodide or iodine supplements,” he said.
Also, “EPA monitors are not picking up any harmful levels of radiation on RadNet monitors across the U.S.”