Dishing on all things animals.
Reporter Pamela Gould and Emma are a registered pet therapy team. Email email@example.com.Follow @PetDish
Pet insurance company lists top 5 illnesses seen in cats
Pets Best Insurance Services, LLC, a pet insurance company based in Boise, Idaho, has released a list of the five most common cat illnesses, according to claims it has received.
The following five illnesses represent about 30 percent of the claims it has received from cat owners across the country.
The company encourages pet owners to seek veterinary treatment if they suspect any of these illnesses in their feline family members.
1. Chronic kidney failure: Symptoms can include anorexia, vomiting, lethargy, diarrhea, constipation, depression and weight loss.
2. Hyperthyroidism: Common symptoms are a voracious appetite, weight loss, increased thirst and urination, vomiting, diarrhea and restlessness.
3. Allergies: Skin allergy symptoms often include raised, thickened raw skin, small scabs, face and ear itching and bald spots. Food allergies tend to include scabs and other signs of itching around the face or neck
4. Cancer: Cat owners should watch for symptoms like lumps and bumps on the skin, lack of appetite, lethargy, excessive salivation, difficulty chewing or swallowing, rapid weight loss and abnormal discharges. Other warning signs include abnormal odors, abnormal defecation and urination, vomiting and diarrhea.
5. Diabetes: Symptoms include increased thirst and urine, unusual appetite and rapid weight loss.
Pets Best offers a feline-specific insurance plan. There are other companies that also offer health insurance opti0ns for pets.
1. Be respectful. No personal attacks.
2. Please avoid offensive, vulgar, abusive, hateful or defamatory language.
3. Read and follow THE RULES.
4. Please notify us by flagging posts that are inappropriate.
Posts that include links, and posts from users with unverified e-mail addresses may take longer to appear.