Archives

THE NEWS DESK

Share
RSS feed of this blog

Fire Dept: City blaze caused by electrical problems

MORE: Read more news from Fredericksburg

A July 30 fire at 306 Hunter Street  in Fredericksburg was caused by a worn extension cord, according to the Fredericksburg Fire Department.

A July 30 fire at 306 Hunter Street in Fredericksburg was caused by a worn extension cord, according to the Fredericksburg Fire Department. / PHOTO: ROBERT A. MARTIN

A  fire that destroyed a Fredericksburg home in July was caused by electrical problems, said Battalion Chief Edward Sparks of the Fredericksburg Fire Department.

In a PSA video published by the Fire Department, Sparks said the fire at 306 Hunter Street was most likely caused by a worn extension cord.  The fire caused significant damage to the structure, the loss of almost all of the contents and the death of two pets.

The extension cord “became worn after extended use and exposure to the elements,” Sparks said, and the cord “had degraded because it stayed hot from being plugged into an overloaded circuit.”

In the video, Sparks offers the following warnings about electrical safety:

  • Extension cords are intended for temporary use, and should never be plugged into high-powered appliances.
  • An extension cord should never be used in place of a properly run and rated electric line.
  • Extension cords should never be covered by rugs or carpeting
  • Never have more items plugged into an outlet than it was designed to handle.

– Alex Russell

 

Permalink: http://news.fredericksburg.com/newsdesk/2014/09/03/fire-dept-city-blaze-caused-by-electrical-problems/