Archives

THE NEWS DESK

Share
RSS feed of this blog

Charges dropped against third man in drive-by

All charges were dropped Thursday against a Ruther Glen man in connection with a drive-by shooting last summer.

Kire Davon Worley, 20, the man prosecutors had said was the getaway driver, had been charged in Caroline Circuit Court with attempted murder, attempted malicious wounding, attempted malicious wounding while part of a mob, discharging a firearm in an occupied dwelling, conspiracy to commit murder and three firearms charges.

“He was the getaway driver that night,” said his defense attorney Jonathan David, “but after extensive investigation between the defense counsel and authorities, it was determined that his role wasn’t as substantial as first thought.”

He had been scheduled to appear in court on Sept. 11, but his case was pushed up to Thursday, David said.

Two brothers from Ruther Glen both pleaded guilty this week to similar charges in Circuit Court.

Jessee Morris, 23, was sentenced to 32 years in prison with all but eight years suspended.

J’uan Morris, 22, was sentenced to 30 years in prison with all but four years suspended.

The charges stem from a June 6, 2013, incident when a home on Brownstone Road in Ruther Glen was hit by gunfire in a drive-by shooting, said Caroline Deputy Commonwealth’s Attorney Diane Abato.

There were four people sleeping in the residence at the time, but no one was injured, she said.

Abato said in court that 24-year-old Shawn Terrell was the intended target in retaliation for the November 2007 shooting death of 16-year-old Raquel Hunter.

Hunter, who prosecutors say was related to the defendant, was shot in the head after a fight broke out at a classmate’s birthday party.

Terrell, who was 17 at the time, pleaded guilty in 2009 to felony malicious wounding by mob in the slaying. He received a suspended 20-year sentence.

Eight others were also convicted in the case and received sentences ranging from suspended jail time to 50 years in prison, court records show.

Portsia Smith: 540/374-5419

psmith@fredericksburg.com

 

Permalink: http://news.fredericksburg.com/newsdesk/2014/08/28/charges-dropped-against-third-man-in-drive-by/