RSS feed of this blog

Rape case goes to Stafford grand jury

RELATED: See more crime news from the Fredericksburg region

MORE: Read more Stafford County news

The case against a man accused of attacking his former girlfriend earlier this year in Stafford County has been sent to a grand jury.

Edgar Alexander Diaz–Urrutia, 40, of Woodbridge is charged with rape. Judge Bruce Strickland certified the charge following a preliminary hearing Thursday in Stafford General District Court.

The victim, a 43-year-old woman, testified that she had broken up with Diaz–Urrutia around October of last year. She said he kept calling and text messaging her until she finally blocked his number.

This angered Diaz–Urrutia, the woman said, and on Feb. 6 he showed up at her home in North Stafford and kept knocking on the door.

At first, she ignored him and went back to bed, but then he started throwing rocks at her window.

The woman said she decided to get dressed and pretend she was on the way to work, hoping that would get him to leave. But when she opened the door, she said Diaz–Urrutia pushed her to the floor, came in and dragged her upstairs to the bedroom.

She said he then threw her on the bed, slapped her in the face, said something about killing her and turned the television up extra loud and raped her.

The woman said she stopped resisting because she was scared. She said he refused to let her leave and told her he hit her because he loved her.

Eventually, the woman said, she was able to get past Diaz–Urrutia and run downstairs. She yelled to him that she had called the police, and he ran out of the home.

Once Diaz–Urrutia left, the woman did call the Sheriff’s Office and detectives Patricia Tudor and Chris Cameron began an investigation.

Cameron said Diaz–Urrutia told him initially that he came over and had consensual sex with the woman. He later told the detective that she was in his arms when she suddenly started screaming, “Get out! Get out!”

Asked about the mark on the woman’s face, Cameron said Diaz–Urrutia claimed he fell asleep after having sex. When he woke up disoriented, he accidentally hit her.

As is customary in preliminary hearings, defense attorney Travis Tull put on no evidence. Tull convinced Strickland not to certify an accompanying breaking and entering charge.

Rape carries a maximum penalty of life in prison.

Keith Epps: 540/374-5404


Post tags: