RSS feed of this blog

Man jailed after wild chase through downtown Fredericksburg

RELATED: See more crime news from the Fredericksburg region

MORE: Read more news from Fredericksburg

A man who led Fredericksburg police on a wild chase through the downtown area in a stolen car earlier this year was ordered this week to serve two years in prison.

Tommy Randell George, 53, of Ruther Glen was convicted Wednesday of felony eluding, driving under the influence, driving on a revoked license and reckless driving.

Judge Gordon Willis sentenced him to a total of 4 years with all but two years suspended.

According to the evidence presented by prosecutor Kevin Gross, Officer Ryan Merrell was in the 1900 block of Princess Anne Street late Feb. 23 when a Toyota passed him going 41 mph in a 25-mph zone with no lights on.

Merrell stopped the driver in front of the Hardee’s on the same street. As the officer was getting out of his cruiser, George sped off.

Gross said George drove recklessly throughout the downtown area, swerving all over the road, nearly striking parked cars, making abrupt turns and running stop signs.

The badly damaged Toyota finally came to rest at the entrance to the Union First Market Bank parking lot on Kenmore Avenue. The driver struck a tree, several signs and concrete parking blocks before stopping.

The driver was unconscious when police and rescue workers arrived, but was combative with rescue workers after they got him out of the wrecked car, Gross said. His blood-alcohol content was .154, nearly twice the level needed for a DUI conviction.

Gross argued that George deserved prison time because his recklessness that night could have easily injured or killed an innocent bystander.

George is still facing auto theft and other charges in Stafford Circuit Court. An arraignment there is set for June 6.

City police said the Toyota owner didn’t know his vehicle was missing until being contacted by police and didn’t know George.

Keith Epps: 540/374-5404


Post tags: