RSS feed of this blog

Shooting victims were bound

RELATED: See more crime news from the Fredericksburg region

The two men who were shot—one fatally—outside a King George County residence Tuesday evening had both been bound with duct tape first, police said.

Ronelle Davon Johnson, 20, was found dead outside his residence on Winston Place, off Comorn Road, Sheriff Steve Dempsey said. A second 20-year-old man was also shot and was seriously injured, but is expected to survive.

Dempsey said both men were shot multiple times with a handgun and had their hands tied behind their backs.

Police said on Wednesday that they were not sure who committed the shootings—or why.

Dempsey urged members of the public to come forward with information.

“We are taking this very seriously, as we do all cases,” Dempsey said. “We are hopeful that someone has the information we need to solve this terrible crime.”

Dempsey acknowledged that police are investigating the possibility that the shootings were drug-related. The Narcotics Regional Task Force that includes King George, Caroline, Westmoreland, state police and the FBI is assisting in the investigation.

Court records in Stafford County show that Johnson was arrested in the England Run area on April 17 and charged with possession of marijuana with the intent to distribute. He also was charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession in King George on March 23. Neither of those cases had come to trial.

Dempsey said the incident took place in a rural section of the county and that some of Johnson’s family members were in the house when it happened. The residence is north of State Route 3 west of King George Courthouse.

He said Johnson’s relatives were not involved in the incident, but were able to give police some information that Dempsey did not want to elaborate on at this point.

The second victim was with Johnson but does not live at the home. The Sheriff’s Office was called at 7:12 p.m. and Johnson was already dead in his driveway when rescue workers arrived.

The surviving victim, whose name was not released, was walking around when rescue workers arrived, but was badly injured. He was first taken to Mary Washington Hospital before being transferred to VCU Medical Center in Richmond.

Dempsey said investigators have not yet been able to talk to the victim in detail because of the extent of his injuries.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Sheriff’s Office at 540/775-2049.

Keith Epps: 540/374-5404

Post tags: