VDOT urges caution on Fredericksburg-area roads
Here’s the latest from the Virginia Department of Transportation on Fredericksburg roads:
Interstate 95, primary routes are clear with isolated areas of ice, slush
FREDERICKSBURG – Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) crews are treating Interstate 95 and primary roads in the Fredericksburg area, but motorists are urged to drive with caution this afternoon as roads in Stafford and Spotsylvania counties have isolated areas of snow, slush and ice.
Road conditions may be especially slick on bridges, ramps, overpasses, where pavement surface temperatures are lower, and on secondary roads, which carry less traffic.
Before traveling, check 511Virginia for real-time road conditions by calling 511 or going to 511virginia.org. VDOT’s Customer Service Center is open 24 hours a day to answer questions and take reports of roadway hazards at 1-800-FOR-ROAD (800-367-7623).
Winter Driving Tips
• Keep your car’s windows, mirrors and lights clear of snow and ice.
• Always wear your seat belt.
• Leave a few minutes early.
• Start out slowly in the lowest gear recommended by your vehicle’s manufacturer.
• Keep a safe distance of at least five seconds behind other vehicles and trucks that are plowing the road.
• Don’t pass a snowplow or spreader unless it is absolutely necessary. Treat these as you would emergency-response vehicles.
• Keep an “emergency winter-driving kit” in your car.
• Drive smart and pay close attention.