RSS feed of this blog

Long, wild chase ends in arrests

RELATED: See more crime news from the Fredericksburg region

A 26-year-old driver was finally apprehended early Sunday following a high-speed pursuit that started in southern Maryland, went all the way through King George County and finally ended in Caroline County, police said.

No one was injured in the lengthy pursuit, even though police said the suspect drove on the wrong side of the road for a number of miles.

King George County Sheriff’s Lt. Chris Giles said deputies were alerted about 2:30 a.m. that an SUV was heading into King George on the U.S. 301 Harry Nice Bridge over the Potomac River.

The driver had fled from some sort of traffic stop in Charles County, Md., police said.

Giles said King George deputies set up tire-deflating strips on the highway, but the driver avoided them by getting into the northbound lanes and continuing south. The driver of the Chevrolet Tahoe, which was carrying five passengers, continued all the way into Caroline at speeds ranging from 70 to 100 mph, Giles said.

Caroline County Deputy Chuck Ryan had set up more tire-deflating strips as the pursuit continued on U.S. 301 south near the gate to Fort A.P. Hill, Caroline Sheriff Tony Lippa said.

The fleeing suspect’s vehicle ran over the strips and continued on for a couple more miles before finally stopping at Chase Street and U.S. 301 in the Bowling Green area, Lippa said.

The driver, Jamie R. Gerald III of Seat Pleasant, Md., was charged in King George with felony eluding and in Caroline with transporting a firearm as a felon. He is also facing charges in Maryland, but those charges weren’t available Monday.

Gerald was placed in the Pamunkey Regional Jail under no bond.

His girlfriend and front-seat passenger, 24-year-old Tiffany L. Jones of Mitchellville, Md., was charged in Caroline with carrying a concealed weapon. A .40-caliber Glock pistol was found in the vehicle, Lippa said.

The other four passengers were released without charges.

Keith Epps: 540/374-5404