RSS feed of this blog

Gang charges filed in officer’s death

A Louisa County man is accused of being part of a gang involved in the death of a Virginia reserve police captain.

Anthony Lee White, 22, of Mineral, is charged with one felony count of participation in gang activity.

White was taken into custody without incident early Sunday morning by Virginia State Police. He is jailed in Henrico County. No other details regarding White’s involvement were released.

White is one of six people now facing charges stemming from the disappearance and death of 45-year-old Kevin Wayne Quick of Nelson County.

Quick was a 24-year veteran of the Waynesboro Police Department’s reserve police force. The city of about 21,000 is located in the Shenandoah Valley about 20 miles west of Charlottesville.

His body was found in a field in Goochland County between Charlottesville and Richmond on Thursday, six days after he was reported missing while on the way to visit his girlfriend and 4-month-old daughter in the Charlottesville area, police said. Surveillance cameras recorded Quick’s SUV at two banks before it was recovered.

State police have not released the cause of death.

Three others, who were charged Thursday with second-degree murder in the case had those counts withdrawn on Monday. Leslie Hope Casterlow, 49, Anthony Darnell Stokes Jr. 31, both of Manassas, and 22-year-old Halisi Uhuru of Danville now face gang-related charges.

Goochland County Commonwealth’s Attorney Claiborne Stokes, who is not related to Anthony Stokes, said charges of felony gang participation were more appropriate.

They are all being held without bond at a Henrico County jail pending a March 10 court hearing.

Two Albemarle County siblings previously were charged with grand larceny related to the theft of Quick’s SUV.

Daniel “Shelton” Mathis, 18, of Barracks Road West in Albemarle County, was charged in Louisa with felony unlawful shooting, robbery, using a firearm to commit robbery, malicious wounding, brandishing a firearm, recklessly handling a firearm, carrying a concealed weapon and two counts of using a firearm to commit malicious wounding.

According to Maj. Donnie Lowe of the Louisa Sheriff’s Office, those charges stem from a Super Bowl party robbery, where Quick’s Toyota 4Runner was used as a getaway vehicle.

A teenager was shot in the buttocks, his girlfriend was pistol-whipped and a man was struck in the back with a gun, he said.

Virginia State Police also charged Mathis with one count of grand larceny in the theft of Quick’s vehicle.

Mathis’ sister Mersadies Shelton, 20, was charged in Louisa with grand larceny in the theft of the vehicle, according to state police.

Another sister, 24-year-old Shantai Shelton, was arrested on unrelated charges. She was charged in Louisa with selling stolen property and obtaining money by false pretenses, according to state police.

All three are being held in the Central Virginia Regional Jail on no bond. They are scheduled for a preliminary hearing in Louisa General District Court on March 18.

Portsia Smith: 540/374-5419