RSS feed of this blog

Spotsy man to serve 13 years in rape case

RELATED: See more crime news from the Fredericksburg region

MORE: Read more Spotsylvania County news


A Spotsylvania County man convicted of raping a woman he hired online to give him a massage will spend 13 years in prison.

Thomas Xavier Stone, 21, pleaded guilty to rape, use of a firearm in commission of rape and robbery as part of a plea agreement in Spotsylvania County Circuit Court in July.

Thomas X. Stone

Thomas X. Stone

Judge Joseph Ellis sentenced Stone Monday to 33 years in prison with all but 13 suspended.

The sentence was recommended by Prosecutor Tom Shaia, who also suggested Stone be placed in a facility with a violent sexual predator unit.

“I do not feel that the Commonwealth or court could sentence the defendant to a period of time that would do the most benefit to the public,” he said. “I’m hoping the Attorney General’s Office will eventually commit him [to a sex offender program] after serving his sentence.”

According to a plea agreement signed by Stone, he contacted the victim on April 1, 2012, through a Craigslist ad and hired her to give him an at-home massage.

The 20-year-old woman drove to the address that was given to her, which turned out to be a vacant home in the Summerset subdivision. When she went to retrieve her oils and massage table, Stone told her that she did not need them, the agreement said.

The agreement said he led her towards the rear of the house and the staircase to the outside screened-in porch, where he motioned for her to go first. When she got upstairs, she noticed the house was empty.

She asked him where the massage would be given and he said “right here” and that’s when she became suspicious, according to the agreement.

At that point, she demanded the money up front and Stone pulled out a knife. He put the knife back in his pocket and then pulled out a gun, which the victim described as a 9 mm or .45-caliber gun.

According to the agreement, he pointed the gun at her and grabbed her purse and took her identification. He demanded cash, but she told him that she put it in the bank.

According to the agreement, he raped her on the balcony.

Afterward, she left and called police. When Spotsylvania deputies arrived, Stone was still on the porch talking on a phone.

As they got closer to him, he ran but was caught by a police dog. He later admitted to raping the woman at gunpoint, but said the gun was not real.

Deputies did retrieve the weapon, which turned out to be a pellet gun, according to the agreement.

In exchange for his guilty plea, four other charges were dropped. Those charges were abduction with the intent to defile, abduction with the intent for pecuniary benefit, use of a firearm in the commission of an abduction and use of a firearm in the commission of a robbery.

Stone was also ordered to have no contact with the victim.

“No text, no email, no chat room, no third party,” Ellis sternly told Stone. “Something like a phone call can get you locked up for the rest of your life.”

Stone had been accused of raping an 18-year-old woman the day before this incident, but the woman did not show up for court and the charges were dropped.

Portsia Smith: 540/374-5419