RSS feed of this blog

Man gets 13 years for rape in Spotsy

RELATED: See more crime news from the Fredericksburg region

MORE: Read more Spotsylvania County news

A Spotsylvania County man convicted of raping a woman he hired online to give him a massage will spend 13 years in prison.

Thomas Xavier Stone, 21, pleaded guilty to rape, use of a firearm in commission of rape and robbery as part of a plea agreement in Spotsylvania County Circuit Court in July.

Judge Joseph Ellis sentenced Stone on Monday to 33 years in prison with all but 13 suspended.

The sentence was recommended by county Prosecutor Tom Shaia, who also suggested Stone be placed in a facility with a violent sexual predator unit.

“I do not feel that the commonwealth or court could sentence the defendant to a period of time that would do the most benefit to the public,” he said. “I’m hoping the Attorney General’s Office will eventually commit him [to a sex offender program] after serving his sentence.”

According to a plea agreement signed by Stone, he contacted the victim online on April 1, 2012, through a Craigslist ad and hired her to give him an at-home massage.

The 20-year-old woman drove to the address that was given to her, which turned out to be a vacant home in Summerset subdivision off Gordon Road. When she went to retrieve her oils and massage table from her car, Stone told her that she did not need them, court documents said.

He led her towards the rear of the house and the staircase to the outside screened-in porch, where he motioned for her to go first, the plea agreement said. When she got upstairs, she noticed the house was empty.

She asked him where the massage would be given and he said “right here” and that’s when she became suspicious, according to the court records.

At that point, she demanded the money up front and Stone pulled out a knife. He put the knife back in his pocket and then pulled out a gun, which the victim described as a 9 mm or .45-caliber gun.

According to the plea agreement, he pointed the gun at her and grabbed her purse and took her identification. He demanded cash, but she told him that she put it in the bank.

The documents said he raped her on the porch.

Afterward, she left and called police. When Spotsylvania deputies arrived at the house, Stone was still on the porch talking on a phone.

As they got closer to him, he ran but was caught by a police dog. He later admitted to raping the woman at gunpoint, but said the gun was not real.

Deputies retrieved the weapon, which turned out to be a pellet gun, the agreement said.

In exchange for his guilty plea, three other abduction charges and a firearm charge were dropped. 

Stone was also ordered to have no contact with the victim.

“No text, no email, no chat room, no third party,” Ellis sternly told Stone. “Something like a phone call can get you locked up for the rest of your life.”

Portsia Smith: 540/374-5419,