Two escape unharmed from fire
Two residents of a town house in the Southpoint area of Spotsylvania County escaped unharmed from a basement fire Friday evening, fire officials said.
The fire was reported at 8:08 p.m., at 10500 Drice Court and volunteers from the Four-Mile Fork station arrived seven minutes later, said Monty Willaford, Spotsylvania chief.
Willaford said the fire was brought under control within 10 minutes. He said four volunteer companies and career firefighters and medics also responded, along with a Fredericksburg ladder truck.
The chief said that an adult and child were home. The fire began when burning candles were knocked over by the child playing, he said.
“We were able to confine the fire to the point of origin and kept it from spreading elsewhere,” Willaford said.
There was no immediate damage estimate, he said.