Archives

THE NEWS DESK

Share
RSS feed of this blog

Teenage girl pulled from burning home in Fredericksburg

MORE: Read more news from Fredericksburg

A teenage girl was rescued from a burning home in the Courtland Heights area of Fredericksburg early Tuesday, according to the Fredericksburg Fire Department.

The fire department responded to a fire in the 100 block of Oak Street just after 2 a.m. Tuesday. The street is just off Lafayette Boulevard in the city.

Fredericksburg police officers arrived at the scene and saw the victim “hanging out of a second floor window with heavy smoke pouring out around her,” according to a press release. The two officers found a ladder next door and assisted her down the ladder. She was transferred to Mary Washington Hospital and later to Medical College of Virginia Hospital in Richmond for further evaluation. Her condition is unknown at this time.

The fire department located the source of the fire on the first floor of the two-story-home and extinguished it quickly, according to the release.

The fire department determined that at the time of the fire, one adult and two teenagers were occupying the home and a small infant was staying with

Photos courtesy of Mike Jones, Fredericksburg Fire Department

relatives nearby. No one else was injured in the fire.

Spotsylvania Volunteer Fire Department units assisted city units with the fire.

The Fredericksburg Fire Marshal’s office determined that the cause of the fire was accidental and it originated in a first floor bedroom toward the rear of the home. The fire was accidental and due to unattended candles and damage is estimated to be $25,000 to $30,000.

Permalink: http://news.fredericksburg.com/newsdesk/2013/09/17/teenage-girl-pulled-from-burning-home-in-city/

*/