RSS feed of this blog

Two pedestrians struck in Spotsy

Three crashes, two involving pedestrians hit while crossing U.S. 1, made for a rough morning commute in Spotsylvania County on Monday.

The first incident resulted in one man being sent to jail and another to the hospital with serious injuries.

The early-morning incident happened on U.S. 1 in the Massaponax area.

Virginia State Police Sgt. Les Tyler said a 49-year-old man was crossing U.S. 1 at the intersection with Southpoint Parkway at 1:39 a.m., when he was hit by a 2004 Acura “traveling at a very high rate of speed.”

The victim was taken to Mary Washington Hospital’s trauma center with “serious injuries,” Tyler said.

The driver of the Acura left the scene, Tyler said. Police later arrested Walter Ray Furrow, 23, at his Spotsylvania home. He faces charges of reckless driving and felony hit and run.

After the incident, all U.S. 1 lanes were closed so the state police accident reconstruction team could investigate the incident. The road was fully reopened at about 7 a.m., well into rush hour.

Trooper J.C. Jeanty is handling the investigation. Tyler said the Spotsylvania Sheriff’s Office assisted with the investigation and traffic control.

Spotsylvania authorities are investigating the second incident, which happened shortly after 8 a.m. at the intersection of U.S. 1 and Market Street near Interstate 95.

In this case, a 23-year-old Fredericksburg man was crossing U.S. 1 in the 5300 block in front of Americas Best Value Inn, said Spotsylvania Sheriff’s Capt. Jeff Pearce.

He said the man ran between vehicles stopped for a traffic light in the southbound lanes, and was looking at northbound traffic when he moved into the southbound left-turn lane. That’s when the man and a vehicle in the lane “collided,” he said.

The man was “breathing but unresponsive” at the scene, Pearce said. Emergency crews took the man to Mary Washington Hospital.

The Sheriff’s Office continues to investigate the incident.

Another, unrelated crash on Monday morning added to an already difficult morning for drivers heading to work.

The third crash happened at about 8:30 a.m. on State Route 3 near McLaws Drive.

In that crash, a pickup truck rear-ended a car, sending it into a wooded area, according to Tyler, with the state police.

He said the driver of the car suffered minor injuries.

Scott Shenk: 540/374-5436