RSS feed of this blog

Suspect, deputies shot in standoff

RELATED: See more crime news from the Fredericksburg region

MORE: Read more Spotsylvania County news

A Spotsylvania County man is facing four counts of attempted capital murder after a nearly 14-hour standoff with police that left him and two Stafford County deputies wounded.

Michael Antosh, 61, is also facing four counts of use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.

The arrest warrants for those charges have been obtained, but Antosh, who was unconscious and undergoing a second surgery Sunday afternoon, had not been served.

“Once he is conscious and able to understand what he is being charged with, he will be served,” said Capt. Jeff Pearce of the Spotsylvania County Sheriff’s Office.

Two Stafford County deputies suffered non-life threatening wounds in the exchange.

Authorities responded to the 10300 block of Gordon Road around noon Saturday to serve an emergency commitment order to Antosh. A commitment order is a document signed by a judge that requires a person to be placed in a mental health facility for 72 hours for a medical evaluation.

Upon arrival of police on Saturday, Antosh barricaded himself in the home and threatened deputies with a high-powered rifle, Pearce said. He described Antosh as being depressed and very unhappy with life when police arrived.

“At that point, the Emergency Response Team and crisis negotiators responded in an effort to keep him from hurting himself or anyone else,” Pearce said. Personnel from the Stafford County Sheriff’s Office and Fredericksburg Police Department also assisted.

During the nearly 14-hour negotiation, Antosh was uncooperative and negotiation efforts were not progressing, Pearce said.

Around 2:30 a.m. Sunday, Antosh started firing from inside his residence and then came outside with a high-powered semi-automatic rifle and continued firing at deputies, Pearce said.

A shootout began and during the exchange, two Stafford deputies were wounded and Antosh was critically wounded, Pearce said.

The two deputies were transported to Mary Washington Hospital where they were treated and listed in stable condition. One of them was released Sunday afternoon, Pearce said. Both were expected to recover, he said.

Antosh was transported to the same hospital where he was undergoing multiple surgeries for gunshot wounds and was listed in critical condition.

The Spotsylvania Sheriff’s Office’s Criminal Investigative Division is investigating the incident.

Pearce could not discuss the details of why an emergency commitment order was being served to Antosh, but said there is no history of police being called for him or to that home.

Spotsylvania Sheriff Roger Harris and Stafford Sheriff Charles Jett communicated with deputies during and after the arrest operation and commended the bravery of the deputies from both agencies who were involved in the incident.

“You hope something like this never happens, but you always prepare for when it does,” Harris said. “The bravery and professionalism shown by the deputies from our two agencies is a testament to the professionalism and the high degree of dedication of these young men and women in helping to keep our communities safe.”


Portsia Smith: 540/374-5419