Victim in Beach crash, fire identified
A Westmoreland County man whose burned body was found in his car Tuesday after fire consumed the trailer where he lived has been identified.
The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Richmond positively identified the victim as 78-year-old William G. Powell Sr. of the 1800 block of Pomona Road in Colonial Beach.
Virginia State Police Sgt. Thomas Molnar said Powell suffered a medical condition before crashing into his residence. The subsequent fire caused the house trailer, which was about four miles outside Colonial Beach, to completely burn.
Firefighters responded to Pomona Road, off Longfield Road at 9:22 a.m. Tuesday for what was reported as a garage fire, said Colonial Beach Fire Chief David Robey.
When firefighters arrived, the structure was fully engulfed, as were two vehicles parked nearby.
Several propane tanks had ruptured and were sending flames 20 feet into the air, the chief said.
Firefighters found Powell dead in one of the cars.
It looked as if the vehicle had run into the trailer, Robey said.
The trailer didn’t have an enclosed garage, but a structure that looked more like a carport, Robey said.
“That was on the ground when we got there,” Robey said.
No one else was in the trailer.
In addition to the Colonial Beach department, firefighters from Oak Grove Volunteer Fire Department also responded. King George County and Montross sent tankers, and the Navy base at Dahlgren sent a ladder truck.
Portsia Smith: 540/374-5419