Flooding in UMW apartments called malicious act
BY ROBYN SIDERSKY
University of Mary Washington apartments at Eagle Village were evacuated late Saturday night after four rooms on the first floor flooded.
A water-flow alarm sounded after someone opened a discharge line to the fire sprinkler system located between the first- and second-floor stairwell, said Fredericksburg Fire Department Deputy Chief Mike Jones.
Just after 10 p.m, the city fire department responded to what was originally thought to be a gas leak. Upon further investigation, the issue with the pipes was discovered.
Four rooms in the south hallway of the first floor, all occupied by students, were affected.
The students were evacuated to the Anderson Center so that they would not have to be outside in the cold, Jones said.
The building has five floors with some 32 apartments per floor and has 400–500 students living in it.
All of the students except the ones occupying the four rooms that flooded were expected to be back in the building Saturday night.
Jones said that the flooding was not an accident and called it a “malicious act.”
The UMW police department is investigating, and the UMW safety and housekeeping departments also responded to the incident.
Robyn Sidersky: 540/374-5413