RSS feed of this blog

2 shot in melee at Fredericksburg nightspot


Two men were shot after multiple altercations broke out at a Fredericksburg nightspot just before closing time early Sunday morning, police said.

The ruckus erupted at about 1:50 a.m. at Central Station at 1917 Princess Anne St. A musical event on Saturday night that drew hundreds of patrons was winding down when the trouble started, city police spokeswoman Natatia Bledsoe said.

She said skirmishes were going on inside and outside the building.

By the time police sorted through the commotion, one man had been arrested. However, police still have not determined who fired the shots that struck the two victims, who were both wounded in the leg.

One victim, a 29-year-old Montross man, was shot just outside a side door after an argument began inside the nightclub. He was taken to Mary Washington Hospital and treated.

Bledsoe said police later learned that a second victim, a 26-year-old Spotsylvania man, had already gone to the hospital.

Police aren’t sure if either man was an intended target or what caused the incidents.

Christopher Gyamfi, 23, of Woodbridge was arrested after a bouncer told police he had been seen with a gun in his waistband. Bledsoe said Gyamfi ran at first, then struggled with officers who were trying to detain him.

Bledsoe said a crowd of between 40 and 50 people surrounded officers as they were dealing with Gyamfi, shouting at police and trying to pull the suspect away from the officers.

Bledsoe said Central Station security eventually formed a barrier around the officers as they took Gyamfi into custody.

He was charged with carrying a concealed weapon, resisting arrest and obstruction of justice, all misdemeanor charges. He was placed in the Rappahannock Regional Jail under no bond.

Bledsoe said police already had officers in the area because there had been trouble at similar events in the past. Those officers called for help after seeing things get out of control.

Police had more than 100 people to deal with during the incident. Because of the size of the crowd and the heightened emotions, city police requested and received help from other agencies, including state police and the Stafford and Spotsylvania sheriff’s offices.

The investigation is ongoing, and additional suspects are still being sought in connection with the shootings.

Anyone with information about this incident, or anyone who has still or video images taken at any point during the event, should contact Detective Carlos Reyes at 540/654-5919.

Keith Epps: 540/374-5404