Discarded cigarette caused CVS fire in Spotsylvania
BY LINDLEY ESTES
Spotsylvania authorities say a cigarette discarded in an outdoor trash can caused the fire at the CVS Pharmacy in the Breezewood Shopping Center off Courthouse Road Wednesday.
Store employees helped put out the fire that spread into the exterior wall of the building at 10:39 a.m.
Spotsylvania Fire and Rescue Battalion Chief Jay Cullinan said CVS workers put out most of the fire that was within reach using a portable fire extinguisher before crews arrived on the scene.
Officials say no one was injured, and all 12 people inside the structure got out safely.
Six Spotsylvania units and one from Fredericksburg responded to the fire, which spread to the roof of the building.
A Spotsylvania medical unit was the first on the scene at 10:45 a.m., followed by a fire engine at 10:48 a.m. The trucks were at a nearby fire and left from that scene to go to CVS.
The store reopened at 2 p.m. after a county building inspector and an electrician checked the damage.
Most people in other businesses in the shopping center did not see the fire, but became aware of it once fire trucks blocked off the area.
Veronica Martinez who works at nearby Milagrito Market and Bakery, said a few customers came in talking about the fire.
Next door at Tan–D–Monium, manager Allison Pugh said she was pleased the fire was contained.
She said she watched fire trucks drive down Courthouse Road en route to the earlier fire and then backtrack to CVS.
Heather Linderman of Spotsylvania was turning in to the parking lot to get her nails done at Long Nails with her two children when the fire started.
She said she saw the trash can burning when she drove past the CVS. “It was really quick, the column closest to the trash can went up in flames.”
Linderman said she didn’t want her children, ages 2 and 11, to get out of the car near the scene. “ Driving by, it went from the can to the roof.”
Lindley Estes: 540/735-1976