RSS feed of this blog

Multiple DUIs bring 7-year term in Spotsy

RELATED: See more crime news from the Fredericksburg region


A man whose latest conviction for driving under the influence was his 12th received the maximum penalty Tuesday in Spotsylvania Circuit Court.

David Marion Apraham, 44, was sentenced to seven years in prison for convictions of DUI, driving on a suspended license and refusing to take a breath test.

Judge David Beck handed down the stiff sentence, saying Apraham has proved himself a “danger to all communities.”

According to Spotsylvania County prosecutor Tom Shaia, Apraham was supposed to be on house arrest in Mississippi when county Deputy Jason Morris spotted him in the Four-Mile Fork area on Nov. 24 of last year.

Court records state that Morris saw Apraham stumbling around a BMW dealership before getting into a maroon pickup truck.

Morris saw the driver swerve well over a double yellow line three times. Court records state that Apraham increased his speed after the deputy turned on his emergency lights before finally turning into a parking lot, barely missing the curb.

Apraham was handcuffed after he lost his balance while walking toward Morris with his arms extended. He told the deputy that he’d had four to five beers, but refused to take a breath test.

Shaia said he still does not know why Apraham was in Spotsylvania.

Apraham has been convicted of DUI in multiple states, including Mississippi, Alabama and now three times in Virginia.

The other Virginia convictions were in Williamsburg in 2008 and Colonial Heights in February of this year.

He is also wanted on DUI charges in North Carolina and the state of Washington.

Defense attorney Jenna Nacht sought mercy for her client, saying he could benefit from treatment for his alcohol addiction.

Apraham wrote a letter to the judge saying he was sorry for his actions and that being in jail since his arrest has left him “dried out” for the first time in many years.

Shaia scoffed at the state sentencing guideline that called for a maximum penalty of 11 months in prison, calling it “ridiculous.”

He said Apraham has already had “way too many chances” and represents a “terror to every citizen in the country.”

Apraham had been sentenced to five years in prison with four years suspended when he fled house arrest in Mississippi, court records show.