RSS feed of this blog

Stafford deputy shoots, kills teen in Fauquier, police say

Members of the State Police Motor Carrier Unit use surveying equipment to recreate a scale diagram of the scene. / Photo by Suzanne Carr Rossi

Accident scene on Tackett’s Mill Road in Fauquier County near the Stafford county line.


State police are trying to determine how an abandoned vehicle resulted in the shooting death of a 17-year-old Stafford County boy early Friday.

Police say Evan F. Newsom  was shot by a Stafford deputy after he attacked the deputy with a knife inside a home in the 12000 block of Tacketts Mill Road near the Stafford–Fauquier county line.

State police spokesman Sgt. F.L. Tyler said Friday evening that Stafford deputies had gone into the home after the abandoned vehicle was found in a ditch nearby. Fauquier deputies waited outside.

Tyler would not say why police went into the home or much else about the ongoing investigation during two brief press conferences Friday.

According to Tyler, someone called the Fauquier Sheriff’s Office about 4 a.m. to report a single-vehicle crash at the intersection of Tacketts Mill and Aquia roads in Fauquier, not far from the Stafford County line. Arriving deputies found that the car had been abandoned.

Fauquier authorities determined that answers about the wrecked vehicle could be found at a home about a half-mile away, police said.

They went to the residence and requested assistance from Stafford deputies.

Fauquier Sheriff’s Lt. James N. Hartman said it is common for Stafford and Fauquier deputies to work together on cases in that area of the county.

Tyler said that after the Stafford deputies entered the house, an altercation ensued during which the 17-year-old attacked a deputy. He was shot and died at the scene.

The deputy suffered minor wounds and was treated at the scene.

Police would not identify the deputy Friday.

Tyler also declined to discuss why there was such a heavy response for a case involving an abandoned vehicle or whether police obtained a search warrant before entering the house.

Tyler said he would not answer any further questions about the investigation being conducted by state police Bureau of Criminal Investigation’s Culpeper Field Office. The investigation team remained on the scene late Friday afternoon.

Tyler said he would release news when police deemed it appropriate.

Stafford and Fauquier officials asked state police to handle the investigation and referred all questions to Tyler.

Keith Epps: 540/374-5404