The News Desk is a collection of news, notes and breaking items affecting the Fredericksburg community.
Weekend heat wave on tap for Fredericksburg
UPDATE: An excessive heat watch has now been issued for Friday, when the temperature is expected to approach 100 degrees. The heat index may reach 110 degrees.
Related: K.G. to open cooling shelter this weekend. Details here.
Prepare to close the windows and crank up the AC.
The Fredericksburg region may see its longest sustained heat wave of the season starting tomorrow.
Today’s forecast calls for a high in the upper 80s, followed by five straight days of temps of at least 95 degrees.
Temperatures on Saturday, Sunday and Monday are expected to hover around 100 degrees. (Here’s the complete forecast.)
As always, keep a close eye on children, the elderly and pets. Here are some great tips for staying safe in the heat.
River safety tips
- Do not assume that any body of water is safe.
- Respect the river. The Rappahannock has strong currents, an uneven riverbed with deep holes, rocks, roots and other obstacles.
- Never wade, swim, tube or boat alone.
- Always wear a personal flotation device, no matter what you’re doing on the river.
- Wear shoes and appropriate clothing.
- Know how to swim.
- Do not drink or take drugs if you are planning any type of river activity.
- If you see someone in trouble in the river, call 911 immediately.