Cathy Dyson writes about King George County.
Saturday is market’s Community Day
Saturday is the monthly Community Day for the King George Farmers Market. The weekly market hosts 15 to 18 vendors from King George and Westmoreland counties and offers seafood, beef, breads, eggs and all types of produce.
Community Days provide an opportunity to open the market to artists, musicians and many community service organizations to share their expertise. July’s Community Day includes:
- Featured artist is woodcarver Sy Jarvis, who will demonstrate his carving techniques for bowls, spoons and furniture.
- King George Moms Club will host a special activity for kids of all ages.
- Vegucation Station, a fresh foods education program hosted by Virginia Cooperative Extension, will offer samples and recipes for cucumbers and tomatoes.
- King George Master Gardeners will host a clinic to answer any gardening or house plant questions.
- King George Animal Rescue League and King George Barn Cats will have information about their services and programs.
Hot-off-the-press market T-shirts will be available for $15 or a donation of 10 or more hours of volunteer service. King George Farmers Market Cookbooks, featuring 300 recipes collected with a focus on seasonal, locally grown foods, is $10.
The market is held in the parking lot of the King George Elementary School, at the intersection of State Route 3 and Route 205. It’s from 8 a.m. to noon on Saturdays. No pets, please, said Market Manager DeLaura Padovan.