Cathy Dyson writes about King George County.
Market wraps up season, prepares for holiday event
Many vendors at the King George Farmers Market are finished for the season, but the market still has eggs, baked goods and some produce. Fresh turkeys are for sale; call 775-8034 to reserve a bird.
Plans also are in the works for the Holiday Market on Dec. 17, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at King George Elementary School. Local crafts, baked goods, wreaths and greenery will be for sale. Market vendors will be onsite with Christmas trees, cooked greens and cornbread. Interested vendors should contact Lori Deem at 775-2024.
As the market wraps up its third season, Manager DeLaura Padovan and her crew want to acknowledge that the market “has really put down roots and grown into a strong community presence.” She notes the following market milestones:
- Obtained tax-exempt status with the IRS.
- Designed a new market logo.
- Got the SNAP (food stamps) program running and are forging relationships with Virginia and King George Social Services.
- Partnered with NSWC Federal Credit Union. The bank will donate $25 to the market for any market supporter who opens a new account.
- Formed a coalition with Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania markets on behalf of the 75-plus working family farms providing local foods in the region. With the George Washington Regional Planning Commission, the group was granted funding from USDA to get the word out about regional markets. Visit the website for more information.