Cathy Dyson writes about King George County. You can email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grzeika lists accomplishments
Last night, Joe Grzeika listed the accomplishments made by the King George Board of Supervisors during 2009, when he was chairman. Dale Sisson was elected chairman for 2010 and Cedell Brooks Jr., vice chairman.
· In January, 2009, Governor Kaine announced that Harris Teeter, Inc. will invest $101 million to open a food distribution operation in the County, creating 335 jobs.
· The Annual Business Appreciation event was held in May with over 150 in attendance
· Received a bond rating upgrade from Standard and Poors from A+ to AA.
· Commenced construction of new Animal Pound and new Sheriff’s Office.
· Completed construction and opened new high school.
· Completed modifications to convert old high school to middle school.
· Obtained substantial completion of new Sealston Parks Sports Complex.
· Selected consultants for the assessment of Ralph Bunche school and Potomac Elementary School, and for the design of a new sports stadium.
· Completed a County Water Supply Plan and adopted a Drought Management Ordinance.
· County completed reassessment of properties.
· County executed agreements with SBA communications and Rowe Concrete to permit Virginia Broadband to utilize towers.
· Received Government Financial Officers Association (GFOA) Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting for FY 08-09 budget (6th year in a row).
· Received GFOA Distinguished Budget Award for FY2009-2010 (5th year in a row)
· Approved Franchise Agreement with King George Fire and Rescue.
· Adopted amendments to the Zoning Ordinance to implement the Floodplain Management Overlay Zoning District, and adopted the Coastal Primary Sand Dune Zoning Ordinance
· Successfully responded to over 2900 Fire and EMS emergencies
· Continued an aggressive smoke detector campaign by teaming up with Social Services in order to target low income families that needed smoke detectors in their homes. Crews installed approximately 100 smoke detectors in various residences throughout the County in 2009.
KING GEORGE COUNTY SERVICE AUTHORITY
· Restructured debt for a savings of more than $700,000 for the first year
· Completed the new Arnold’s Corner Storage Tank Project, increasing water storage and fire protection for the Courthouse area
· Installed a new Arnold’s Corner well, increasing the water production in the Courthouse area