JUSTICE FORUM Compiled by and Free Lance-Star reporter Pamela Gould, this blog includes news on a broad range of justice issues. Send feedback to
RSS feed of this blog

More charges expected in police reservist’s death

Kevin Quick, missing since Friday.

Kevin Quick

Virginia State Police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said this morning that more charges are expected in the killing of Waynesboro police reserve Capt. Kevin Wayne Quick.

She noted that the case is being investigated as a homicide and the investigation is continuing.

Various state, local and federal agencies, to include the U.S Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Virginia, are participating in the investigation.

“Because this investigation is ongoing, we are not releasing the cause of Quick’s death at this time,” she said.

Quick, 45, of Nelson County, disappeared Jan. 31 after leaving his mother’s house in Afton. He was headed to his girlfriend’s apartment in Albemarle County but never arrived. His body was found on Feb. 6. As part of an investigation that has stretched across central Virginia and into Northern Virginia, six people have been charged in the wake of his disappearance and death.

A memorial service was held for Quick on Monday in Charlottesville. Below are details from that event via the Associated Press.

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP) — A Waynesboro reserve police officer found dead Feb. 6 was remembered Monday as a dedicated, unflappable public servant with a ready smile.

Dozens of law enforcement officers, state officials and family attended the memorial at John Paul Jones Arena for Kevin W. Quick, 45, who served for 24 years as a volunteer on the Waynesboro Police Department’s reserve force.

Waynesboro police Capt. Mike Martin, who delivered the eulogy for his friend, said mourners should turn the page on the “final chapter” in Quick’s life and remember him as someone who always had an interest in others and took everything in stride.

“Let us not let anger and revenge take away our memory of Kevin,” Martin said. “Let’s celebrate his life by keeping a little bit of his life in us.”

Waynesboro Police Chief Michael Wilhelm and Attorney General Mark Herring attended the memorial. Brian Moran, secretary of state’s Department of Public Safety, also attended and represented Gov. Terry McAuliffe, who could not attend.

“On behalf of Gov. McAuliffe and 8 million grateful Virginians, I offer my sincere gratitude and condolences to the family of Kevin Quick and the Waynesboro Police Department,” Moran said.

Quick’s mother, his girlfriend and their infant daughter were in the audience.

Quick was found dead northwest of Richmond after a widespread search stretching from the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains to Northern Virginia. Virginia State Police have not said how he died.

Quick’s body was found six days after he failed to show up to visit his girlfriend and their daughter. Four people face felony gang participation charges in the case, and two others have been charged with stealing Quick’s sport utility vehicle.

State police spokeswoman Corinne Geller has said additional charges are expected against at least some of those already in custody.


Comments guidelines

1. Be respectful. No personal attacks.
2. Please avoid offensive, vulgar, abusive, hateful or defamatory language.
3. Read and follow THE RULES.
4. Please notify us by flagging posts that are inappropriate.

Posts that include links, and posts from users with unverified e-mail addresses may take longer to appear.