Donya Currie is the editor of The Free Lance-Star's Healthy Life section and Healthy Life Virginia newsletter.
Subscribe to the Healthy Life Virginia newsletter: fredericksburg.com/gethealthy
Get your act together
Not to be morbid, but are you prepared to die? Spiritually, I might be, but that doesn’t mean I’ve done everything I should to make things easier on my family.
The Virginia Department for Aging and Rehabilitative Services, one of many helpful organizations on hand at the recent Art of Aging Expo in Fredericksburg, advises all of us to have the following:
- A will and/or trust.
- A Virginia Advance Medical Directive.
- A list of all documents and where they are kept (will/trust, medical directive and all insurance policies).
- A list of all assets and where they are kept (deeds for land, titles for cars and boats, bank accounts, etc.)
- The name, address and phone number of your attorney, accountant, insurance agent, banker and broker.
- Funeral arrangements with names, addresses and phone numbers of family and friends.
I think I’ve taken care of one out of seven. How about you?