Janet Marshall is the editor of The Free Lance-Star's Healthy Living section and Healthy Life Virginia newsletter. She thinks most things are fine in moderation.
Subscribe to the Healthy Life Virginia newsletter: fredericksburg.com/gethealthy
Mental wellness classes being offered
A series of evening workshops will be held starting Jan. 14 for people who would like to take better charge of their mental health. The free workshops are open to anyone and will focus on empowering people to manage mood swings, depression, anxiety and other mental health challenges.
The evening workshops are part of Wellness Recovery Action Plan, a nationally recognized program that’s been offered locally for years, with support from Mental Health America of Fredericksburg.
WRAP classes take two forms:
- Rolling WRAP: This is the series of evening workshops kicking off on Jan. 14. Workshops with specific topics will be held the second and fourth Monday of each month, from 6:30-8 p.m., at the Tompkins-Martin building next to Mary Washington Hospital, in room B on the ground floor. “Workshop evenings will include presentation, discussion, printed handouts, and some time to work on personal notes and plans,” says a flier. As part of Rolling Wrap, there also will be gatherings the first and third Monday of each month, at the same time and location. On these evenings, participants “will review the previous Monday’s topic but in more of a support group format with emphasis on implementing concepts and tools into daily practice,” the flier says.
- 9-week WRAP: This is the classic WRAP offering and involves weekly meetings over a 9-week period in which participants identify triggers that undermine their mental health and develop a personal toolkit for better handling their moods and emotions. The next 9-week WRAP class will begin Jan. 8; meetings will be held each Tuesday through March 5 from 1-3 p.m., at Thrive, The Healing Center, at 10700 Ballantraye Ct, Ste 104, Frederickburg.
To register for the 9-week course starting Jan. 8 at Thrive, call Mental Health America of Fredericksburg at 540/371-2704 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, you can leave message at Thrive at 540/361-1331 for Christine. For questions about the program’s goals, format or content, call Karen Kallay at 540/373-1744.
To participate in a Rolling WRAP workshop, registration is not necessary but is appreciated, and you can sign up by contacting the facilitator, Karen Kallay, at 540/373-1744 or at email@example.com.
Upcoming Rolling WRAP workshop topics include:
- Jan. 14: Why and how to exercise hope, personal responsibility, self-advocacy
- Jan. 28: Why and how to build your own support system
- Feb. 11: Wellness Tools: peer counseling, medication, focusing exercises
- Feb. 25: Stress Reduction: relaxation techniques, mindfulness, spiritual practice
You can learn more about WRAP by visiting the WRAP national website at www.copelandcenter.com.