Janet Marshall is the editor of The Free Lance-Star's Healthy Living section and Healthy Life Virginia newsletter. She thinks most things are fine in moderation.
Subscribe to the Healthy Life Virginia newsletter: fredericksburg.com/gethealthy
Eating good food, vegan style
A reader inquired about where to find recipes for some of the foods Donya Currie mentioned in her Sunday Healthy Living story on vegan eating. The story discussed how some local Geico workers have slimmed down and gained more energy since participating in a study of vegan eating.
Donya, in consultation with local dietitian Nancy Farrell, responded with recipes and/or links to recipes. Here are a few for those interested in trying out meals that contain no animal products:
- Kale/pear smoothie recipe: http://vitamix.ahoy.com/recipe/recipe_print.cgi/1/450/
- Apricot “Chick’n” with Broccoli:
- Almost-Instant Black Bean Chili: nutritionmd.org/recipes/view.html?recipe_id=700
- Vegan Chili: This is made from “a simple, easy to use product from Fantastic Foods,” Farrell said. “It’s called Vegetarian Chili but it is also vegan.” It’s available at Wegman’s in Central Park, according to the company’s website. Learn more here: fantasticfoods.com/productlist.aspx?catid=Vegetarian+Entrees+and+Side+Dishes
- Eggplant Panini: http://chefchloe.com/entrees/hot-n-crusty-farmers-market-panini.html
To read Sunday’s story on vegan eating, visit http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2012/012012/01062012/1325872944fls. A sidebar to the story can be found at http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2012/012012/01062012/1325873296fls