Tips for getting a good night’s sleep, even in a noisy dorm
BY FRANCES WOMBLE
Dr. Maha Alattar and the National Sleep Foundation shared these tips for getting good sleep:
- Avoid caffeine after 3 p.m. Also avoid nicotine and alcohol, which can interfere with sleep.
- Don’t nap for more than 45 minutes, or after 3 p.m.
- Establish a consistent sleep and wake schedule, and stick close to it on the weekends.
- Don’t eat, drink or exercise within a few hours of bedtime.
- Shut off electronics well before bedtime. Computers and other devices emit light that inhibits the brain’s production of melatonin, which helps us sleep.
- Try wearing ear plugs if your sleep environment is noisy.